This post may contain affiliate links. That means we may make a small commission on items purchased through links in this post at no extra cost to you!
Buying headphones for your toddler for an upcoming plane trip? It’s a bit more complicated than you’d think. Read this first to find out everything you need to know about buying the best toddler headphones for planes!
Toddler headphones are fairly simple, but they are not all the same. Picking toddler headphones for your next plane trip that is incompatible with your child’s needs will mean you’ve wasted your money.
There are thousands of toddler headphones on Amazon when you search “toddler headphones.” Therefore, it is critical to know what will work best for your family and your child.
Don’t worry! This article will guide you through the process so you can feel confident in any purchase you make. We’ve rounded up the top 9 best toddler headphones for planes of 2023! We have also gathered the best products based on different use cases, as well as provided answers to many of the common questions parents have while shopping for toddler headphones.
Let’s get right into it!
- Don’t forget! Pin this post to Pinterest to read again later!
- FAQs for the Best Toddler Headphones for Plane
- 1. Are adjustable headbands important?
- 2. How important is a volume control for toddler headphones?
- 3. Are Bluetooth headphones safe for toddlers?
- 4. Are over-ear headphones bad for children’s ears?
- 5. What is a built-in audio splitter?
- 6. Do both toddler headphones and earbuds have great sound quality?
- 7. How does a built-in microphone work on toddler headphones?
- 8. Are noise-canceling headphones bad for toddlers’ ears?
- The 9 Toddler Headphones for Plane at-a-Glance
- 1. Best Toddler Headphones for Road Trips
- LilGadgets Connect+ Style Wired Kids Headphones with SharePort® Technology, Child-Friendly Foldable Over-Ear Headset with Built-in Microphone, Designed to be Comfy for Toddlers in School
- 2. Best Pair of Headphones for Little Ears
- 3. Best Headphones for Younger Kids
- Puro Sound Labs PuroBasic Volume Limiting Wired Headphones for Kids, Boys, Girls 2+ Foldable & Adjustable Headband w/Built-in Microphone, Compatible with iPad, iPhone, Android, PC & Mac
- 4. Top Picks for Little Ears
- Hotcok H37 Kids Headphones for Girls Boys Foldable Adjustable On-Ear Headphones 3.5mm Jack Wired Cord for School, Home, Airplane, Car
- 5. Best Kids’ Headphones for Young Kids
- Elecder i37 Kids Headphones Children Girls Boys Teens Foldable Adjustable On-Ear Headphones 3.5mm Jack Compatible Cellphones Computer MP3/4 Kindle School Tablet
- 6. High-Quality Bluetooth Headphone
- 7. Good Headphones for Volume-Limiting Headphones
- eKids Paw Patrol Kids Bluetooth Headphones, Wireless Headphones with Microphone Includes Aux Cord, Volume Reduced Kids Foldable Headphones for School, Home, or Travel
- 8. Airplane Travel Headphones Limiting Ambient Noise
- JLab JBuddies Folding Kids Wired Headphones | Toddler Headphones | Noise Isolation | Kids Safe | Volume Limiting Headphones | Headphones for Children
- 9. Best Wireless Headphones for Little Ears
- Belkin SoundForm Mini – Wireless Bluetooth Headphones For Kids with Built-In Microphone – Kids On-Ear Headphones Wireless Bluetooth – Bluetooth Earphones for iPhone, iPad, Fire Tablet & more
- My Thoughts on the Best Toddler Headphones for Plane
Don’t forget! Pin this post to Pinterest to read again later!
FAQs for the Best Toddler Headphones for Plane
1. Are adjustable headbands important?
When you are looking to buy the best toddler headphones for your child, you are going to want to make sure the headphones have an adjustable headband for two reasons. First, the headphones need to be able to fit comfortably and snugly on your child’s ears. And secondly, so your child can grow into the headphones for many years. Be sure to check that your headphones have an adjustable headband.
2. How important is a volume control for toddler headphones?
Volume control is an important factor for toddler headphones for children ages 2+. To prevent noise-induced hearing loss, you need to make sure the headphones you have chosen do not exceed a recommended limit of 75 dB and for a limited time of couple hours at once. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), children’s headphones should not exceed 75 dB and for no longer than 40 hours a week in total. Some tips on ear safety while using headphones are:
- Try to limit turning up the volume to about 60% of the maximum volume.
- Noise-canceling options are a great idea because children don’t need to increase the volume as much to decrease background noise or ambient noise. This may be especially helpful while on a plane or during a car road trip when the background will be noisier than a quieter home environment.
- Watch out for headphones labeled “kid safe” and pay attention to the actual volume on the package.
3. Are Bluetooth headphones safe for toddlers?
Bluetooth headphones are considered to be safer than wired headphones. Wired headphones can be installed incorrectly by inserting the wires in the wrong direction which can affect the volume control! Who knew?
4. Are over-ear headphones bad for children’s ears?
Not is used correctly by the recommendations of the World Health Organization (WHO). The WHO recommends that toddler headphones should not exceed 75 dB and not be used for more than 40 hours in total per week. In addition, it may be more comforting for parents to opt for headphones as opposed to earbuds because of the increased additional space with headphones and the eardrum. This leaves less potential for the sounds produced by the device to aggravate your child’s eardrums.
5. What is a built-in audio splitter?
A built-in audio splitter is a feature that many children’s headphones have. An audio splitter is a device or cable that can route an audio source to multiple output devices. This means that you can plug in multiple pairs of headphones so that you and your friends can listen to the same audio simultaneously from one device. Devices may include a microphone, headset, or audio headphones. While you are adding more wire to the signal path, there amazingly shouldn’t be a difference in sound quality.
6. Do both toddler headphones and earbuds have great sound quality?
Yes. Both toddler headphones and earbuds for children produce great sound quality. The difference lies in how comfortable your toddler is with them. Some children prefer headphones over their ears, while others enjoy having earbuds inside their ears. Children that prefer earbuds may think they can hear the sound better and more clearly since there is less space between the earbuds and the eardrum.
7. How does a built-in microphone work on toddler headphones?
A built-in microphone is a great feature to have for toddler headphones. When you are searching for the best toddler headphones for plane, keep in mind how convenient a built-in microphone is to take voice calls. The mic may be installed internally or inline. Having a built-in HD microphone will provide crystal clear communication for your child during learning or playing.
8. Are noise-canceling headphones bad for toddlers’ ears?
No. Not only are they not dangerous, but there are many benefits to using noise-canceling headphones for your toddler’s ears. They work by creating an “anti-noise” sound wave that works to cancel out background noise. There are no radiation risks to using noise-canceling headphones, unlike cell phones which do emit a low level of radiation. Another positive thing about noise-canceling headphones is that children may not need to turn up the volume as high because they can hear the sound more clearly with less background noise interference.
The 9 Toddler Headphones for Plane at-a-Glance
|Puro Sound Labs|
|LeapFrog LeapPods Max|
|eKids Paw Patrol|
|Belkin SoundForm Mini|
1. Best Toddler Headphones for Road Trips
LilGadgets Connect+ Style Wired Kids Headphones with SharePort® Technology, Child-Friendly Foldable Over-Ear Headset with Built-in Microphone, Designed to be Comfy for Toddlers in School
- Adjustable Headband
- Over-ear headphones
- The best option for airplane travel
- Bright colors
- Volume control to avoid high volumes
- Available in 8 different colors
The LilGadgets Connect Headphones are truly a great bank for your buck. These headphones are specially designed for kids, meaning they have a snug fit, soft padding for little ears, and are made of durable steel material. These headphones are recommended for the age range of 3 to 7-year-old boys and girls. What is unique about LilGadgets Connect Headphones? Their SharePort Technology is amazing and allows parents to connect multiple headphones to one device without needing a splitter. So if you purchase these LilGadgets Connect headphones, you are getting a great pair of headphones with a built-in audio splitter that is perfect for young children and older children during plane travel.
LilGadgets Connect Headphones come in 10 bright colors that will make any toddler’s eyes light up:
- Blue/ Red
- Pink Camo
- Black/ Yellow
2. Best Pair of Headphones for Little Ears
- Volume control to prevent loud noises
- A good option for small size children ages 3 to 8
- Soft earpads for child’s ears
- Available in 24 different colors
The Snug Play Kids Headphones contain volume limiters to ensure a maximum volume for your children’s ears. These headphones are comfortable for airplane travel while at the same time producing adult-level sound quality. The headphones are tough, durable, and lightweight for toddlers to carry onboard airplanes. These headphones have a volume limit of 93 dB to prevent eardrum damage. The cord detaches, so make sure you keep an eye on it! These headphones are so comfortable your toddler will want to take them everywhere!
Snug Play Kids Headphones come in 24 different colors in both solid colors and the most adorable toddler designs:
- Black digi camo
- Blue camo
- Blue classic
- Green classic
- Monster trucks
- Pink camo
- Pink Classic
- Purple classic
3. Best Headphones for Younger Kids
Puro Sound Labs PuroBasic Volume Limiting Wired Headphones for Kids, Boys, Girls 2+ Foldable & Adjustable Headband w/Built-in Microphone, Compatible with iPad, iPhone, Android, PC & Mac
- Protects kid’s hearing from noise-induced hearing loss
- Great sound quality
- Comfortable pair of headphones
- Available in 6 different colors
The Puro Sound Labs headphones for kids are foldable and adjustable with a built-in microphone. These headphones are compatible with so many different devices too! They have built-in volume-limiting ear protection capping volume at 85 dB. They claim to have rugged durability, noise isolation, fold easily for travel, and are super easy to store. For all these reasons, the Puro Sound Labs headphones for kids are the ideal headphones for plane travel for toddlers. With superior sound and a universal wireless connection to your iPad, iPhone, Android device, or computer, your toddler will be entertained during long-haul flights or road trips.
Puro Sound Labs Headphones come in 6 bright solid colors:
4. Top Picks for Little Ears
Hotcok H37 Kids Headphones for Girls Boys Foldable Adjustable On-Ear Headphones 3.5mm Jack Wired Cord for School, Home, Airplane, Car
- Adjustable headband
- Eco-Friendly Material
- Available in 5 different colors
These Hotcok kids’ headphones are very popular on Amazon. With over 1,000 Amazon ratings, these headphones have an amazing price point as well! These over-ear headphones are suitable for use in school, at home, or on a plane! They claim to fit kids between the ages of four to twelve years old comfortably, and contain a headset cord that is 4.9 feet (1.5 meters) in length for ultimate enjoyment. The cool thing about these headphones is that they are made with the environment in mind! The eco-friendly materials conform with California’s Prop 65 and have FCC certification. This is comforting for parents who want to know their young children have the best (and safest) quality headphones for travel.
The Hotcok kids’ headphones come in 5 different colors suitable for both boys and girls and are available on Amazon:
- Blue/ Yellow
- Green/ Orange
- Green/ Purple
- Navy Blue
- Pink/ Purple
5. Best Kids’ Headphones for Young Kids
Elecder i37 Kids Headphones Children Girls Boys Teens Foldable Adjustable On-Ear Headphones 3.5mm Jack Compatible Cellphones Computer MP3/4 Kindle School Tablet
- Great sound quality
- Adjustable Headband
- No volume control
- Available in 8 different colors
These Elecder i37 Kids Headphones are great for frequent use. Toddlers are notoriously known for being hard on stuff, and the reviews on these headphones say they are toddler-proofed headphones. The headphones are known to be easy to carry, which is perfect for traveling on a plane in a bag, purse, backpack, or suitcase. With over 25,000 reviews on Amazon, these headphones have been tried out by a lot of kids and toddlers. The Brand Elecder was founded in 2016, so these are relatively new and modern headphones for toddlers with the latest technology (and an amazing price point). Some of the positive features of these headphones are they are foldable, portable, and have a tangle-free cord that is 4.9 feet (1.5 meters).
This Elecder i37 Kids Headphone is available on Amazon now in eight different colors:
- Blue/ Light Blue
- Green/ Purple
- Orange/ Black
- Rose/ Pink
- Purple / Pink
- Red/ Black
- Navy/ Green
6. High-Quality Bluetooth Headphone
- The best thing is it includes built-in music and activities
- Soft ear cups
- Comfortable fit for little kids
- Available in one color (white /green)
These LeapFrog LeapPods Max come with a rechargeable battery of up to 12 hours of battery life! The headphones have a comfortable over-ear design and are durable enough for kids to use! They are also wireless, so that means there is no cord to worry about. There are simple controls on the outside of the ear cups and contain 3+ hours of music and activities to keep your toddler entertained aboard the plane! These toddler headphones are perfect for the plane! Some other features are they are foldable, have a built-in microphone, and are fast charging. These headphones are truly an immersive audio experience that will be perfect for toddlers aged 4+.
7. Good Headphones for Volume-Limiting Headphones
eKids Paw Patrol Kids Bluetooth Headphones, Wireless Headphones with Microphone Includes Aux Cord, Volume Reduced Kids Foldable Headphones for School, Home, or Travel
- Wired headphones option
- Wireless headphones with a microphone
- Available in two colors
If you have a toddler boy at home, chances are they are fans of Paw Patrol and would love these headphones! eKids Paw Patrol Kids Bluetooth Headphones are perfect for school, home, or air travel. The headphones are adjustable to fit the size head of your child, as well as portable and foldable. The ear cushions are pivoting and the design is especially durable for toddlers. These wireless headphones have a microphone so your children can even take a video call. However, a 3.5mm audio cable is also included so that your toddler can listen to audio and music when Bluetooth is not available. The cute Paw Patrol characters over the ears will make toddlers excited for the next time they get to wear these.
eKids Paw Patrol Kids Headphones come in two colors:
However, eKids has several other designs available with other kid’s favorite characters such as:
- Jurassic World
- Toy Story 4
- Blues Clues
8. Airplane Travel Headphones Limiting Ambient Noise
JLab JBuddies Folding Kids Wired Headphones | Toddler Headphones | Noise Isolation | Kids Safe | Volume Limiting Headphones | Headphones for Children
- Volume control included
- Headband made of plush leather
- Compact adjustable headband fits growing kids
- Available in 2 colors (Blue or Pink)
These JLab JBuddies Folding Kids Headphones have the perfect amount of sound for toddlers without getting too loud. You won’t have to worry about any hearing damage being done! A fun part about these headphones is they come with a variety of stickers for your child to decorate their earpieces with. The style is great for toddlers and they are super comfortable to wear while on the plane. The cord is a good length too and perfect for a fidgety child. The headphones are recommended for kids 2+ years old.
JLab JBuddies Kids Headphones are available in two bright colors:
- Black/ pink
- Blue/ gray
9. Best Wireless Headphones for Little Ears
Belkin SoundForm Mini – Wireless Bluetooth Headphones For Kids with Built-In Microphone – Kids On-Ear Headphones Wireless Bluetooth – Bluetooth Earphones for iPhone, iPad, Fire Tablet & more
- Small and Light
- Soft cushion ear cups
- Simple touch controls for play/pause, volume control, and Bluetooth pairing
- Option to include a hard carrying case in your purchase (perfect for plane travel)
- Available in 4 different colors
The Belkin SoundForm Mini Headphones for Kids are wireless, Bluetooth, and have a built-in microphone. These headphones deliver as promised for good sound quality and noise cancellation. These headphones are so good an adult may even be tempted to use them themselves. The battery life is exceptional and they work well for travel via car or plane. The protective case is optional but seems to be worth the extra cost. As a bonus, the headphones even come with cute stickers (that don’t leave residue). Belkin headphones are known for being good quality products with great audio, and these headphones fit right in line with that description.
Belkin SoundForm Mini Headphones are available in four different colors for kids:
My Thoughts on the Best Toddler Headphones for Plane
Before reading this article, you may not have considered all of the above headphones and their features.
Safety is an important topic when comparing headphones for toddlers. We all want to make sure we are preserving our children’s hearing while they are having fun listening to their favorite things! As long as the toddler headphones do not exceed the recommendation provided by the World Health Organization (WHO), your child should be fine. Current recommendations by the WHO are for toddler headphones to have a volume control limit of 75 dB and no more than 40 hours a week of usage.
Sound quality is another very important feature of picking headphones. You want to make sure your child can hear their music or audio while on a long-haul flight or even just a short flight. Compare reviews of different headphones for children to get an idea of how other people’s kids could hear while using the headphones.
The colors and style of a headphone are also important. Does your child like bright and colorful headphones? Or does your child prefer plain and simple headphones? The best way to know is to ask your child! Be sure to consider their input if you are having trouble picking the best design online. If you are going to shop for toddler headphones in-store, such as at Target or Walmart, there may even be sample headphones for your child to try on and see if they like.
It’s such an exciting time in your toddler’s life to wear their first set of toddler headphones. When you have finally picked the perfect set of headphones, be prepared to buy more than one pair! Children often get so attached to the headphones that they want to have a pair at home, a pair in the car, etc.
If you have read through this article and looked over the 9 best toddler headphones for planes that we have recommended, you can’t go wrong with any of those choices. The best toddler headphones are safe, have great sound quality, and have bright and cute colors.
After reading this article, we hope it helped you pick the best product for your child during their next flight. Wishing you all the best in your search for the perfect pair of headphones for your toddler or young child!