This post may contain affiliate links. That means we may make a small commission on items purchased through links in this post at no extra cost to you!
Finding the best climbing toys for 1 year olds and young toddlers is no easy feat! As a parent, we want what’s best for our children. But how do we know what types of climbing toys for 1 year old are really helpful versus unhelpful?
If you scroll down, you will come across my top 15 recommended climbing toys! Be sure to check them all out before you make your decision!
How to Pick the Best Climbing Toys for 1 Year Old
Improves Gross Motor Skills
Gross motor skills are such an important aspect of a one-year-old’s daily developmental skills. A 1-year-old can work on their gross motor skills by engaging in activities that encourage walking, standing on tiptoes, walking up the stairs, and starting to run. Climbing toys that play toys out of reach, have different surfaces, and create opportunities to dance can improve their gross motor skills. Place climbing toys on different surfaces such as grass, dirt, carpet, or wood to create a new experience.
Develops Hand-Eye Coordination
Hand-eye Coordination can be developed in a one-year-old by working on their pincer grip and picking up smaller objects. Some climbing toys listed below will help with these specific hand-eye coordination skills.
Encourages Active Play
Keeping a 1-year-old active is an excellent way to help them burn off some energy and have fun at the same time. Climbing toys encourage active play by forcing your child to problem-solve, learn, and explore the world around them as they climb.
Improves Fine Motor Skills
Fine motor skills can be improved when playing with the right climbing toys. Look for toys that come with smaller accessories in the set. Some examples of climbing toys that feature opportunities to improve fine motor skills for 1-year-olds include steering wheels, ball pits, and playing with smaller objects.
Encourages Imaginative Play
Imaginative play for 1-year-olds involves make-believe games and role-playing activities. There are lots of opportunities for toddlers to engage in imaginative play while playing with their climbing toys. Try to pick a climbing toy that has a theme, an activity center, or a steering wheel.
Doubles as an Educational Toy
Educational toys for your 1-year-old are always a thing to strive for. Children at this age are learning a lot of new physical skills, like walking, running, and climbing. Climbing toys will help your child to push themselves physically and challenge their growing bodies.
Different Activities are Built-In
Sometimes you are lucky enough to find a climbing toy that has multiple activities included in the same set (hint: there are some on this list if you scroll down). These are always fun for kids to play with their peers or older siblings because then different children can do different activities simultaneously.
Climbing Toys for 1 Year Old Encourage Critical Thinking
Climbing toys for 1-year-olds encourage toddlers to start thinking critically with their physical bodies. They have to really work on their gross motor skills! It takes a lot of problem-solving and critical thinking to move their bodies the way they want to, and climbing toys are perfect for this.
Younger Toddlers and Older Kids Can Both Enjoy
If you find a climbing toy that your child can use for many years to come, you’ve definitely found a winner! I love buying toys that my boys can use for many years because I know I won’t be wasting my money on something they will only use for a few months or a year tops. Plus, younger toddlers and older children can play with the climbing toy together at the same time and won’t get bored of it.
- How to Pick the Best Climbing Toys for 1 Year Old
- Improves Gross Motor Skills
- Develops Hand-Eye Coordination
- Encourages Active Play
- Improves Fine Motor Skills
- Encourages Imaginative Play
- Doubles as an Educational Toy
- Different Activities are Built-In
- Climbing Toys for 1 Year Old Encourage Critical Thinking
- Younger Toddlers and Older Kids Can Both Enjoy
- Don’t forget! Pin this post to Pinterest to read again later!
- Outdoor Climbing Toys for 1 Year Old
- 1. Eezy Peezy Monkey Bars Dome Climbing Frame
- 2. Naturally Playful Woodland Climber II with Steering Wheels and Climbing Wall
- 3. Little Tikes Rock Wall Climber and Slide with Steering Wheel
- 4. Step2 – Game Time Sports Climber & Slide with Basketball Hoop
- 5. Little Baby Bum Wheels School Bus Climber
- 6. Little Tikes Hide & Seek Climber
- 7. Simplay3 Young Explorers Adventure Climbing Set
- Best Indoor Climbing Toys for 1 Year Old
- 8. Ogelo Triangle Climber with Jungle Gym, Rope Ladder, and Rock Wall Dome
- 9. Eezy Peezy Active Play 3 in 1 Jungle Gym Play Set with Indoor Slide, Ball Pit, & Toss Target with 50 Colorful Balls
- 10. Softscape Toddler Playtime Corner Climber
- 11. Pikler Triangle Climbing Triangle Ladder
- 12. Kids SoftZone Climb and Crawl Activity Playset with Colorful Blocks
- 13. PigPigPen 3pc Kids Play Tent for Boys with Ball Pit, Crawl-Through Tunnel, Rocket Ship Tent
- 14. Pikler Triangle Set 4 in 1 with Climbing Ladder and Climbing Arch
- 15. KidKraft Camp & Slide Toddler Climber with Hideaway Tent
- Frequently Asked Questions about Climbing Toys for 1 Year Old
- What to get for 1-year -old who likes to climb?
- Why does my 1-year-old keep climbing?
- What age can you use climbing toys?
- What are safe climbing activities for babies?
- Finals Thoughts about Climbing Toys for 1 Year Old
Don’t forget! Pin this post to Pinterest to read again later!
Outdoor Climbing Toys for 1 Year Old
- Interlocking plastic tubes and connectors
- High-quality plastic material
- Portable and can be used indoors and outdoor
- Does not fade, corrode, or rust
- Recommended for ages 3 to 8, but a 1- year-old would have run pulling up on it, exploring the dome, and crawling inside or around it!
- Includes a slide, two steering wheels, a climbing wall, lower level for hiding
- Made with earthy brown and beige colors that blend into the surrounding areas
- Designed with quality in mind so it does not chip, fade, crack, or peel
- Made in the USA
- Fun for kids age 12 months to 24 months
- Two large climbing walls that are perfect for adventurous young toddlers
- Three crawl-through tunnels that are perfect for 1 year-olds who are still crawling
- Ability to continue using it as they become older children
- Good for outdoor use and improving hand-eye coordination skills
- Recommended for up to 6 years of age
- Recommended for ages 2 through 6
- Includes a sturdy outdoor slide and kid-sized basketball hoop for hours of fun
- Young toddlers can have fun crawling around this brightly colored active sports play center set
- Perfect for enhancing gross motor skills as your 1-year-old climbs, slides, and crawls
- Fun for older siblings to get involved and play as well
- Grows with your 1-year-old so you don’t need to put it away quickly after they are over 1
- Can be used indoors or outdoor
- Shaped like a real school bus
- Has a small red slide that is perfect for toddlers around 12 months old
- Small and portable
- Includes a fun steering wheel where your 1-year-old can turn the wheel and honk the horn
- Your child can have fun shifting the gears of the bus and turning the red key
- This red, cream, and green playset is adorable for 1-year-olds
- Includes a bright red slide and a small rock climber
- The slide’s height is slightly less than 20 inches from the ground to the top of the slide
- Cute for a first-birthday gift
- Can be used for indoor use or outdoor use
- Includes a small area under the platform for crawling through, which is perfect for children that are not yet walking.
- Lots of opportunities for the baby to explore
- Great for either indoor or outdoor use
- Lasting play over the years as your 1-year-old grows
- Super durable and UV-resistant material
- Older kids will have fun with this set as well
- Tip for assembly: use a handheld drill or screwdriver to make it go faster
Best Indoor Climbing Toys for 1 Year Old
- 8-in-1 playset that includes a climbing rock, gymnastics rings, swing, climbing net, triangle climber, monkey bars, slide, and hammock
- This is a great set if you are looking for something versatile and made of natural wood
- Perfect climbing toy with multiple different activities
- Recommended for kids ages 1.5 to 6 years of age
- Made from Pinewood
9. Eezy Peezy Active Play 3 in 1 Jungle Gym Play Set with Indoor Slide, Ball Pit, & Toss Target with 50 Colorful Balls
- 3-in-1 design that features a slide, ball pit, and target toss
- The entire set is made of bright colors that are a great addition to your home.
- It’s a sturdy enough design so that a child up to 3 years old can safely go down the slide.
- It comes with 50 balls that are red, yellow, and blue, but it might be a good idea to buy some additional balls to supplement the ones that come with the set.
- Grab some additional balls here: Click here!
- Great for indoor play on very hot days or rainy days when you prefer to be inside.
- Comes in 6 different color combinations
- A great way for young toddlers to improve gross motor skills
- No sharp edges and easy to clean
- The entire set is made of a soft and durable polyurethane material
- Recommended for 9 months to 3 years
- Montessori climbing toy that is great for toddlers aged 1-3
- Can be folded easily and stored under a bed
- Fun for kids to climb on
- Easy to assemble and can take as little as 20 minutes to fully assemble
- Great quality and very sturdy climbing design
- Bright-colored and lightweight foam shapes
- Can be used to develop climbing skills, crawling abilities, and sliding techniques
- The cushion that looks like a ramp can be used to slide down
- Recommended for ages 9 months to 3 years
- As children get older, they may have fun stacking the cushions and putting them into different configurations
- Includes a ball pit, crawling tunnel, and lifelike space adventure theater under the dome tent
- Can all be packed up in the provided packing bag
- Would be the perfect first birthday gift
- The balls are NOT included, so make sure to purchase some on your own
- It’s fairly large when the whole thing is fully assembled and might take up a large portion of your room.
- Fun pickler triangle set that includes a folding triangle, ramp, arch, and climbing ladder
- Children can have fun playing with this in multiple combinations
- Recommended for ages 1 through 3
- Made of premium material that is high quality and natural pine wood
- Can play with pieces separately as well as in an entire set
- Provides hours of indoor fun in this Montessori play set
- A great climber for younger toddlers
- Great for new walkers who are interested in climbing
- Easy to build and fairly sturdy
- Can take as quick as an hour to assemble
- Kids can play peek-a-boo under the platform in the hideaway tent
- The perfect size for smaller toddlers that just turned one year old
Frequently Asked Questions about Climbing Toys for 1 Year Old
What to get for 1-year -old who likes to climb?
For starters, anything on the recommended list above is a great pick for a 1-year-old you like to climb! Climbing toys that are popular for this age group include climbing ladders, rock walls, climbing arches, crawl-through tunnels, and jungle gym play sets.
There are truly so many options out there. In addition, there are many ways to utilize the things you already have in your home to entertain your climbing child, such as a couch you already have.
Why does my 1-year-old keep climbing?
A 12-to-24-month-old child is most likely exploring the world around them and having fun by climbing. It’s a very natural progression for a young child to use their new muscles to try to jump up on things. Children who climb will get to develop their balance, hand-eye coordination, and motor skills.
What age can you use climbing toys?
As your baby begins to pull up to kneel and stand, they are ready to start climbing. This can happen as early as 8 to 9 months of age, however, every baby is different and reaches milestones at their own pace.
What are safe climbing activities for babies?
Some ideas to keep climbing safe for babies include using soft blocks for them to climb and tumble on or put padding around his climbing play area. Adult supervision at all times can help prevent any injuries for babies when they are climbing. Use couch cushions and boxes to create fun things for babies to climb on and through. Consider having your baby play on a softer surface such as a play mat, carpet, or rug.
Finals Thoughts about Climbing Toys for 1 Year Old
There are so many positive things I can say about the best climbing toys for 1 year olds!
It’s so natural for a young toddler to want to explore the world around them by climbing on a Pikler triangle, climbing wall, rock wall, or jungle gym.
Climbing toys encourage active play, hand-eye coordination, and gross motor skills development. These are the exact physical skills that they should be working at this age. Young toddlers who are just learning how to pull up to stand, walk, and run can develop their climbing skills using the best climbing toys.
I have two active little boys that are still climbing on everything and everything (and they are past age 1). Trust me, investing in a good-quality climbing toy when your child is approaching his or her first birthday is one of the best gifts you can give them!
If you found this post helpful, I guarantee you will be interested in these articles as well:
Be sure to share this post on social media – Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and Instagram!